Hello ESL Teachers and Tutors,
Thank you for visiting ESL Teacher, the best blog for teachers developing their trade, and looking for free online lessons and homework to give to their students!
Today let's focus on how to use quizzes to help students learn new vocabulary. The quizzes that I usually give are self graded, so the students don't have any pressure about grades. They are also pop quizzes and don't involve any preparation, so they are a great tool for teacher who needs some extra time enjoying life =)
The quiz below is really good for helping students recall a word they have learned, and practice writing it down. I used to have my tutors do this to help me learn Chinese. It's very effective!
STEPS FOR QUIZ PRACTICE:
1) Have the students close their books and take out paper and a pencil.
2) Tell them to number their paper from 1 to 10 (or how many questions that you have).
3) Tell them to write down the word. You can either say the word (beginner level), describe the word using other words (all levels), or act out the word. I prefer using both descriptions and acting. If you describe the word, be sure to use words that the students will understand!
4) After you are finished with the words, number the board and ask the students for the answers. If you want, you can ask them to spell the word for you and write it as they spell it.
5) Ask the students to grade themselves and ask them to share their score with the class!
Thank you for your visit! I sincerely hope that it was helpful to you!!!
Your fellow ESL teacher,