Monday, February 22, 2010

Hawaii Literacy's Drop-In Center

Hello Students and Teachers!


I work for Hawaii Literacy, a non-profit organization. I am the Coordinator for a school called the Drop-In Center. Students: "Drop-In" means come anytime. So students and volunteer teachers and tutors come whenever they have the time. We teach English as a Second Language classes (ESL), and have tutors who help students learn Math and other High School Subjects for their GED test, or practice English for their Citizenship Test, or practice for their Driver's Test...we help students succeed!

Here is our SCHEDULE.

Please watch this video made by my friend Elena Indjieva and myself:



My job there is to teach volunteers how to teach and tutor, and to teach students ESL. I also do other paperwork and emails (meylysa.tseng@hawaiiliteracy.org) and answer our school's cell phone (808) 352-7797.


The lessons that are on ESL Teacher blog are the same lessons taught at the Drop-In Center. We teach the scheduled lessons live for students on Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays from 11:30am-1:30pm, and on Saturdays from 9am-noon. We are at Kaumakapili Church, 766 North King Street (in the downstairs classrooms). I usually upload the Oxford Picture Dictionary lessons on Saturdays after class.


ESL Teacher is for anyone who wants to teach ESL or learn ESL. You do not have to come to the Drop-In Center to use it. However, the Drop-In Center has inspired me to make these videos, and share them with everyone. I am very grateful for my job at Hawaii Literacy, and to be able to work with such wonderful volunteers, students, staff and Board members. 


Your ESL Teacher,


Meylysa




No comments:

Post a Comment