Hello Fellow ESL Teachers, Tutors and Esteemed Guests!
Welcome to ESL Teacher, a blog dedicated to both ESL teachers and ESL students! Your visit is much appreciated!
Today I wanted to introduce some techniques you can use to teach ESL students with stories.
Teaching Stories Method
1) Have the students watch you and listen as you read the story to them. Be sure that their books are closed and they cannot read the story, only listen to it.
2) Ask the students to rate themselves on how much they understood, either publicly or privately. You can also give them a quiz if you want.
3) Have the students open their books and read it while they listen to you.
4) You can ask them if they understand it better here as well.
5) Have the students read the story together with you.
6) Go back over the story and answer any questions students may have. Explain sections that are more difficult.
7) Have the students take turns around the room reading one sentence each.
8) Have the students pair up and read the story, taking turns switching back and forth reading one sentence each. Then have the students switch so they read the other sentences. Walk around and listen to the students' pronunciation and answer any of their questions.
9) End by repeating steps 1 and 2 and see how much your students improved!
Let me know if you do any awesome techniques when you teach stories!
Thanks for visiting ESL Teacher!
Your fellow ESL teacher,